tisdag 9 november 2010

Death by chocolate for real.

Here comes my second post in english. Enjoy.

So I was reading this months issue of the Gourmet-magazine. At the end there was this recipe on how to make a "Death by chocolate" cake. And, really, no offence to the composer of that recipe but could I die by eating that cake? No. I didn't feel so. It was just an ordinary chocolate-cake with some melted chocolate on top. Maybe I would cough to death because it was dry :)
Just kidding, I'm sure it tasty, but it gave me an idea to do a cake that would make you feel like maybe it's time to die.


 Ok, so to the heart of the cake. Made a spungecake-like base with a lot of cocoa and cream instead of milk. Also I baked two bananas and made them really soft and mushed them into the batter. It went well and the consistensy was like an heavy and juicy chocolate-cake. I also added a dash of cinnamon and ginger.


Next step was to make the garniture. I had these beautiful cherries from Kyknos in Greece. They are really tasty by themselves, but I strained them, put them in a mix of the syrup and rum they layed in and let them rest in that for a while. After that I strained them again and put them in the oven for like 5 minutes and let them rest over night on a warm place so that they were really dried up and chewy before i dipped them in chocolate.


I sliced up the cakes and started with the first layer. That was made by caramelised walnuts mixed with condensed milk and butter.


For some reason I missed to take a picture of the second layer. Easy happened because I was making this cake at the same time as the rest of the days "mice en place" in the kitchen.

Anyhow the second layer was a chocolate-mousse. I melted dark chocolate, added an eggyolk and some bourbun and then turned it down into whipped cream. It became a bit hard, not to hard for the cake but if it had been to hard eat by it self. That's what you get for doing everything by hand and not following recepies.


 After that I drenched the whole thing with a chocolate ising, easily made by heating cream to the boil and pouring it over crushed chocolate and a little nob of butter. It looks like a huge macaron :)


I topped up with the cherries. A lot of work, but the result was satisfying to look at.

Tell me, do you think you would survive?

2 kommentarer:

  1. I'm so easily killed in these situations, no need to over do it for me! :)

    SvaraRadera
  2. ΜΟΥ ΕΤΡΕΞΑΝ ΤΑ ΣΑΛΙΑ ΡΕ ΝΤΕΝΝΗ!!!ΤΙ ΣΟΚΟΛΑΤΑ ΕΙΝΑΙ ΑΥΤΗ???ΠΑΩ ΣΤΟ ΖΑΧΑΡΟΠΛΑΣΤΕΙΟ ΝΑ ΠΑΡΩ ΚΑΜΙΑ ΠΑΣΤΑ ΓΙΑΤΙ ΔΕΝ ΒΛΕΠΩ ΝΑ ΤΗΝ ΦΤΙΑΧΝΩ...:-) ΦΙΛΑΚΙΑΑΑ
    Ξένια έδεσσα

    SvaraRadera